Thursday, February 14, 2008

On Love

I started this blog roughly this time last year. In the back of my mind I was hoping it would chronicle the year (singluar) that I spent in my hometown regrouping before resuming my otherwise fabulous life and moving on to bigger and better things. I am still here. My life has no outword signs of fabulosity. Despite the fact that I made the least amount of money I have ever earned, and my finances are a constant challenge for my creativity, my life here is pretty rich. Will I be here forever? Probably not, but as it turns out this is a good place to be.

Although I haven't been on the receiving end of sizeable paychecks, or great accolades for my professional successes, I have received a great deal of love. In fact I've never felt so loved in all my life. From the moment I packed up my life in Detroit the people who love me whether friends or family, rushed in to support and encourage and care for me. Every time I go back to visit everyone is so happy to see me, and I'm thrilled to see them. And down here in Ohio my family is always there when I need them in any sort of way. And I get to spend quality time with them, which is something I was just "too busy" to do before.

While here I've met someone truely special who loves me and appreciates me. When life's dissappointments show up he is there to pick up the pieces without ever being asked. And life's little triumphs are even more joyous because he is there to share them. He can support and listen without judging and it seems like there isn't anything he can't handle. Around this time last year I read True Love by Thich Nhat Hanh. I was inspired and discouraged. The way he described loving another person was exactly the way I thought love should be, and yet I'd never experienced that. Now I have, and it is wonderful.

What I'm learning about love is this: love is infinite and limitless. The degree to which we can be loved is only limited by the amount of love we are willing to allow into our lives. AND the degree to which we can love others is only limited by the amount of love we are willing to share with the people in our lives. Love begets love. The more we are open to giving and receiving love the more love will enter our lives. Its a remarkable phenomenon to say the very least.

1 comment:

Shorty said...

Your friendship has enriched my life in so many ways. I'm so glad to have met you. Thanks for being the kind and loving person you are.

S.